When you rely on local customers to keep your HVAC business moving along, finding those customers is like a trade secret. Word of mouth and online searches can only get you so far. And while digital marketing is keeping you connected to your community, it doesn’t always deliver on new, local business when you need it, unlike HVAC direct mail postcards.
In the face of the digital era, one of the best ways to target new customers close to you is actually through tangible HVAC direct mail postcards. The pieces of print are put in the hands of the specific customers you want to help you grow your business.
Why Invest in HVAC Direct Mail Postcards
Not only is an HVAC direct mail campaign simple to execute, it’s cost effective with one of marketing’s best returns on investment. Why does such an “old school” strategy sent via snail mail work?
Because some see direct mail postcards as traditional and old-fashioned, fewer businesses are doing it, so your postcard has the potential to help you stand out in the competitive crowd.
Studies confirm that about twice as many people notice and read direct mail over email messages. Direct marketing emails end up stored away in an overflowing inbox or worse yet, a junk folder. Postcards get passed around or even pinned up on a wall or refrigerator as a reminder.
Nearly 60% of $65K+ households purchase from Direct Mail.
Building Your Brand
As part of a larger strategy that also includes digital marketing, the postcards provide another touchpoint to potential customers. The more places that they see your logo and business name – your brand – the more likely they are to remember and call on you when they need your services.
Direct mail postcards are great for gathering new customers, but they also work well to spark repeat business. Even more so when offering coupons or deals for regular service, such as an A/C tune-up. You can also use postcards to thank those customers, offer a referral bonus, or remind them of the service when the season comes around again.
Analyzing your strategy and tracking your results is also easy with direct mail postcards. Just use unique promotional codes associated with each campaign so you’ll know which campaigns brought in the most business.
Postcard Design Matters
Designing and printing postcards is the key to a successful direct marketing campaign. To get the best value and most customers, there are five key tips to follow when designing your HVAC direct mail postcards.
- Apply the 40-20-20 rule. Direct mail marketers like to use this rule to determine how successful a campaign will be. The success rate is 40% dependent on the offer or promotion, 40% on a quality mailing list, and 20% on copy and design.
- Keep it simple. Customers should be able to look at your HVAC direct mail postcard and immediately know who you are and what you are offering. This means it should be easy to read, clearly communicate the value you offer, and build brand awareness. All at a quick glance.
- Make it colorful and bold. Use colors and various font sizes to help you communicate key points. Larger, bold, or colored fonts demand more attention and using them then creates an information hierarchy, visually queuing readers what to look at first. Headlines and Calls to Action should be in a font larger than the details.
- Research your target market. You can be very precise in building you lists and select exactly who has the opportunity to see your postcard – from economic demographics to local neighborhoods. You can also exclude those outside of your service area and renters, who don’t tend to make HVAC repair or maintenance calls.
- Timing is everything. People don’t tend to think about their A/C systems when the weather is cool, or their heaters when the outside temperatures are soaring. To even the flow of work, aim to send your postcards throughout the year by changing up the images, headlines, and offers to remain relevant.
Seal the Deal with a Strong Call to Action
Potential customers receiving your postcards should be engaged and left with a clear direction. Why should they respond? Without this direction and subsequent responses, your postcards will gather impressions but no business.
Every postcard should have one clear Call to Action – what the reader should do with the information you’ve just provided. This could mean visiting your website for more information, but ideally it means calling you to schedule service.
Promotions or offers are a great way to engage and entice potential customers, however, discount with caution so that you don’t give away so much that the direct mail postcards are no longer cost-effective.
For example, a $50 discount may bring in less customers than a $100 discount, but those customers attracted to the better deal may not be long-term customers (i.e. they are in it for the deal only).
When including a promotional offer, try to limit one promotion per postcard. This makes the Call to Action crystal clear.
Partner with One Stop Mail on your HVAC Direct Mail Postcard Campaign
From finding leads to nurturing repeat business, HVAC direct mail postcards could be your standout marketing strategy, priming you for growth and profits. Is it time for your HVAC business to hit the mailboxes?
By working with One Stop Mail you’ll benefit from our nearly 40 years in the direct mail and print services industry. In addition to direct mail postcards, we also specialize in mailing list, direct mail service, print and graphic design, offset printing, digital printing services, data service, and easy fulfillment.
To reach those new customers via your custom HVAC direct mail postcards, request a quote from One Stop Mail. We’ll provide you with the information you need as we guide you through the options that may be right for you and your HVAC business. Reach out to us today at [email protected] or (602) 932-2722.